Friday, December 21, 2007

A Second Look At Mitt

We were requested in a comment to take a second look at Mitt as he is the anti-illegal immigration candidate. In browsing around this morning, I have come across a "second look" which is why he is my number 2 candidate (maybe 3) and not my number 1. It is a blog entry by FDT08 at blogsforfredthompson.com titled "Mitt Romney - Serial Exaggerator"

The essence of the article is that Mitt is a "flip-flopper" or someone who you say, "let's wait five minutes and see what he believes". His examples are:
Mitt has become what Al Gore was in 2000- a serial exaggerator who would say almost anything to get elected.

Whether it relates to his life experience-

Hunting Experience that he didn't have
NRA Membership & Endorsements he never received
"I saw my dad march with MLK" - which never occurred

Or his recent election-cycle conversions to -

Federalism - first supported, now against the Human Life Amendment
Immigration - Initial Supporter of Amnesty Bill, now opposes
Campaign-Finance Reform - initially supported, now opposes
The life experience stuff really bothers me and are why he may be moving down to #3 for me. The conversions have been described as things done because he was in a liberal state and had to have different positions to govern and stay popular there. The assertion is that he is "really" a conservative as his current positions indicate. I simply don't know and cannot be sure. Is this just opportunism? I think so. I am guessing that he IS conservative, but there is just no way to know for sure.

No comments: